Friday, March 04, 2005

A Promise

I got home late today. As I entered my room, I saw Emma playing with her fingers. When she saw me, she jumped up to put her arms around me and hugged me. I hugged her back. Then the following conversation took place:

Tristan: Emma, did you make lots of noise?
Emma: Hmm...
T: Remember Emma, before I left you, you promised that you won't make any noises.
E: Yes, Tristy.
T: Well?
E: Tristy, after you have left, I have been thinking: nobody is at home anyway, so why could not I make any noise? I really like to dance and sing.
T: What did you do in the end?
E: I thought about it for a long time, and I have decided that even though no one would know that I was singing and dancing, I would still not do it.
T: Oh? Why?
E: Because I promised you that I would not do it. It is very important to keep a promise, you know.
T: Of course I know.
E: I had to fight very hard to keep my urges you know? Because I really wanted to dance and sing!
T: Yes! Well, good for you! It is important to keep your own principles.
E: What are principles?
T: Nevermind, Emma. So, all that time you could have danced and sang but you didn't, what did you do then?
E: Oh I danced with my fingers instead! See? [Making all kinds of finger movements]
T: Tell you what Emma, I'll take you to the library in a couple of days okay? There you will meet a few friends same age as you.
E: Yay! Tristy is the best! [Kisses Tristan on the cheek]

I tucked Emma to bed. She was singing a tune from Phantom of the Opera. I told her that she should listen to Richard Wagner. She corrected my pronounciation: "It is wag-ner, not varg-nar, you dumb-dumb!" Then she merrily went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home